Monday, December 12, 2005

Wind Done Gone

The book, "Wind Done Gone", is the diary entries of a black woman. Throughout, you find out she is actually half black and half white. Born into slavery, she is sold away from her family at the age of 13. The diary takes you through her slave days and into freedom and leads up to her marrying a rich white man, but then leaving him for a black congressman. I'm not recommending the book, it's a slow read, and some moral issues I find surprising and plainly distasteful; however, the book has invoked some very deep thought.

The United States is a young country, and we have come a long way. Still learning and growing though. But I think of these days, and wonder how few generations I would need to go back to find my ancestors enslaved. I don't think of myself as black or white or any race for that matter, I think of myself as Samantha. Color is of no distraction to me, but listening to this book, and hearing this lady's story - I had to consider it. She was like me - black and white - but a slave. I can't imagine being a slave, much less being sold away from my family. What tragic things these people suffered.

This is part of my culture? It's a question I asked myself driving down the road this morning. Amazing. I come from a great people, strong people, loving people, hard working and loyal people. They had issues, big ones, moral and otherwise, but all in all I believe the black people struggled well.

It all makes me interested in finding out about my family, my ancestors, where did they come from?

I also thought of the time when my mom and birth father married. It makes me proud. That was a hard time, and they stood strong in the face of social disapprovement. They were individiuals, their own people, and they didn't let social norms dictate their lives to them. I am proud of their courage and their strength.

9 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

Ooh, good post Dena, but I don't want to find out about my past, I am way too busy with my future!

I love you and hope to see you Sunday at 2:00 for my birthday!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

If you research the Black and White, make sure you research the Crow Indian, the Black Dutch, Irish, French and German part of your heritage also. You might say you are mixed up, heehee!!! Oh yeah and remember Blackfoot Indian! haha

11:13 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I've never noticed race. I mean, sure I see that there's a difference in the way certain people look but... huh? Why shouldn't it be the only diff??? I don't get it.

Anyway, you should check out Liquid Plastic's post. That will give you an earful (she lives in Texas too). You can link to her from my blog.

9:56 AM  
Blogger dont eat the token said...

excellent post, great intriguing thoughts.

happy christmas to you, lava, have a good one!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Interesting post! Because my Guatemalan side is more obvious than my Welsh (although Catherine Zeta-Jones plays the Spanish role in Zorro and she's Welsh)I think I've focused more on that side of my roots, but in the past year or so I've done more research on my Welsh side and how my grandmother came to America on an ocean liner. I don't have to look very far back to how my ancestors lived, since only one of my grandparents was born in the U.S.

You bring up interesting points on race. And in being half and half. We've definitely got that in common! So between your family and mine, we've got quite a few races covered! :)

Have a very Merry Christmas Dena.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Hey, I am working on a site redesign for you, so hurry back so we can talk about it!

Love you!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

ohhhh, I like the new look! Now, POST SOMETHING NEW! We miss you! And get something up to stop these spammers. Bleah.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! ;)
hey... what unhinged newz!
what do U consider about it?

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment