Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A sad day in Sanger

Our Mayor died yesterday. He was such a great man. Kind, gentle, caring, he cared a lot about his community but he really cared about people as individuals too. He was involved with the City in some capacity for the last 20 years or more, but he had been mayor since 1998. He became the mayor shortly after I started working for the City. I used to type the minutes for the Council meetings, I remember listening to the first tape, my boss had advised the City Council that she had hired a new assistant and had given them my name. The Mayor told them what a great family I had come from and how pleased he was at her choice. He has always been close to my family. Everyday he would come in the office walk by my desk, and say "Oh no, there's trouble" he would always flip stuff over on my desk, turn my little armadillo backwards, turn my papers upside down, he was always being silly. I can honesly say I loved him. I'll miss you Tommy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

I loved Tommy too. He was indeed a great man, the kind of man you would want for a grandfather or a mentor, or even just a friend.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I'm so sorry, honey. I have a mentor in politics like that. Good and honorable, loving people like that are rare. And finding that in politicians is even rarer still. *hugs*

4:42 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Tommy will be sooooo missed, everyone loved him. I wonder sometimes if I impact people that way. I do know you do, everyone loves you and you will be missed just like Tommy, but today he is in heaven rejoicing!!!!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Lava said...

Eddo - he sure was!

Saurkraut - thanks, it's true - finding people like that in politics is rare! It's a mess around our city right now...

mom - yep - he is in heaven rejoicing! THink he met Jake yet?? (you know he's there!)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Lava. Maybe you should keep your armadillo backwards as a memory of him!

And yes, he was right, you DO come from a great family!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it really like this?
hydrocodone

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment