Thursday, November 17, 2005

He named his dog Eddie....

I went for a ride with a co-worker today to check out some infrastructure projects we have going at the City - his name is Eddie. We live in a small town so not only is Eddie the Water/Wastewater Superintendent he is also the Assistant Fire Chief for our volunteer fire department. He told me about going out on a fire call last week - said he got there, they put the fire out and he carried a dog out in his arms, barely breathing, then it stopped. He looked at the 7 year old owner of the dog - and the seven year old said "you gonna save my dog sir?" and had tears runnin down his face. One fire fighter yelled out "we don't do animals" and the boy started crying'. Eddie has a big heart though - he said "I'm sure gonna try" and told me that he had to wipe away a few tears himself. Eddie is a big manly man- rides motorcycles, works on sewer lines, and puts out fires - not a tearing up kinda guy, so to hear this from him, made me almost tear up as well. He said he started doing doggie CPR and thought he was gonna be able to save the dog, he got someone to drive the EMS truck, took the dog to the vet and worked on the dog all the way there - they delivered the dog to the vet,and Eddie made periodic calls to the vet to see what was happening, the dog didn't make it. He went this week out to see the kid and saw the kid walkin down the road, with a little blue heeler...He said "How ya doin' boy?" The boy said "Just fine sir" and Eddie said "That's a good lookin dog you got there". The boy grinned from to ear to ear and said "Thank you sir." He started walkin off and then turned around and called his dog, he said "Come on Eddie, let's go". Eddie almost teared up again telling me the story, it was so sweet, then he looked at me and said "It made it all worth it, he named his dog Eddie."

Isn't that the sweetest thing ever?

6 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

that is so sweet, but he sure didn't take long to replace his other dog did he?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

awww. that is so sweet!! I am such a sucker for dog stories, but that one is a really good one. Thanks for sharing, Lava!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Lava said...

I know right mom...that's what I thought, but I didn't spoil the moment - I don't even know if the kid knew his name was Eddie...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Lava said...

JCol - I love dog stories too! You should see this guy - he's bigger than my bro - it was so sweet to hear him tell it.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

What an incredible story. I choked up a bit reading it...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

That was a good story.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment