Saturday, June 11, 2005

Election Day (2nd time around)

Picture it, 2005, Sanger Texas. Small town of 5000 residents. The battle is on. On May 7, 2005 the general election was held. One Incumbent was beat out by his opponent....by a landslide. One Incumbent maintained his place on City Council, and the third, well...on Election Day the vote was counted and the Incumbent won by one vote; however, there was a catch. Three provisional ballots had been cast. These ballots went to the County and out of the three one had to be counted. We held our breaths, the results were in...It was a TIE! The first time in the City of Sanger this had happened. The panic set in, a run-off election was ahead.......

The battle begun.....citizens spoke up like never before, speaking out at Council meetings, writing letters to the editor, the campaign ads began like crazy. One Councilman that lost the election put a sign on his truck...."We want Sanger not Springerville".....Mr. Springer was campaigning for all three of the opponents, not the incumbents. Election signs are everywhere......

Now, today, June 11th, is the day of the run-off. I got up at 5:45 a.m. took my shower, and jumped in the car for the drive, on my way the phone began ringing, "How is it going so far?" was the first question. My response..."Uh...It's not even 7:00 yet, I'm not even there" (polls don't open till 7:00), apologies, and a bit later another call "where are you" ..."on my way" I reply to the stress filled voice on the other end of the receiver. I pull up in front of City Hall. I look around, and there are no signs posted. No "Vote Here", No "Pollig Place", and No distance markers as required. I whip around the side of the building, dash inside and with panic in my voice, I say "Rose - signs!" She raises her eyebrows, her mouth drops open in pure shock, she points dramatically to the West wall,a nd says "hurry, go, there in my office" I drop my personal effects, and dash to the other side of the building, grab the signs and a stapler since I can't find a hammer, and run outside to the locations 100 feet away from the building, and pound the signs into the ground with the bottom side of my stapler. I check my watch - 7:00, I made it just in time...what in the world would they do without me? I guess they would be signless. It's a good thing I decided to come to work this morning! I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Stephen and Eddo.
From what I have read you have some great posts that hit what alot of us think.

I know how it is when you get to work and nothing is done. You seriously wonder how ANYTHING got done before you ever came along. Aggrivating.

I hope the election goes well.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

We need an update about the election - great post by the way.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment