Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Par 19-22

“Gerald Johansen, Gerald Johansen” the lady at the desk called out. Mr. Johansen looked at Lava, raised his eyebrows slightly, and said “well, I guess it’s my turn.” He stood, and walked toward the desk. The lady behind the desk spoke with him and then led him down a hall, Lava watched as they disappeared. Lava sat in the waiting area, trying to decide what her next step should be. She considered leaving, but thought it was best to wait, and see Danny face to face. After about fifteen minutes, Mr. Johansen walked back up the same hall. He nodded at Lava, gave her a slight smile, and walked out the front door.

“Lava Locust, Lava Locust, “ she heard the same voice call her name. She stood and walked toward the desk. “Follow me” the lady told Lava. Lava followed her down the hall, they turned into a room with chairs, and glass windows. Lava saw Danny sitting in an orange jail issued outfit behind one of the glass windows, with a slight grin on his face. Lava couldn’t help but smile. She was told to pick up the telephone receiver and that she had fifteen minutes to visit. Lava sat down, picked up the receiver and said “hi”. Danny said “sorry I didn’t call you, I was embarrassed, and figured you would never want to see me again." Lava was silent. Danny went on “I don’t know what happened, they showed up at the door with a warrant. You have to believe me, I didn’t do what they are accusing me of.” Lava grimaced, then said, “Danny, I don’t know what to think. I thought I knew you, but now I don’t know…” her voice trailed off. Danny replied “you do know me, better than anyone else.” “Apparently not” Lava responded. “What do you mean?” Danny said, “do you believe I could hurt someone?” “I don’t know” Lava said softly, “I just don’t know. “

Danny and Lava continued talking, the fifteen minutes was up, Lava said goodbye, and left. She got in her car, turned on the engine, then sat in the parking lot and cried. “Why is this happening?” she said out loud. Lava sat in her car for a while, then realized she wasn’t doing herself or anyone any good by sitting here acting this way. She wiped the tears away, turned on the radio and headed for home.

Later that night, the phone rang, Lava answered “Hello”. “Collect call from the Denton County Jail” she heard the voice on the other end. Lava accepted. Danny said “Hey Baby, whatcha doin?” Lava said “Hi Danny, I was just about to go to bed, can we talk later?” Danny said, “ I just wanted to tell you I love you.” Lava was silent. Danny said “Well, that’s all I wanted to say.” Lava finally spoke, she said “Danny, I think it’s best that we put our relationship on hold for now.” It was Danny’s turn to be silent. Lava explined “I don’t know what to think Danny, I don’t want to believe it’s true, but I met your dad, he said he thought you needed some help. I just need some time.” Danny’s voice seemed different, cold, and almost angry as he said slowly “Lava, I love you and I will always love you, I won’t let you break up with me.” Lava didn’t know what to say at first, then she said “I just need some time, can you give me that?” Danny said, “take all the time you need, but if you think you don’t want to see me anymore, I’m sorry, because even if you break up with me, when I beat these charges, and get out of here, I will find you, and we will be together forever.” He said it so matter of factly as if there was no way it could be any other way. Lava said “Danny, I have to go now.” Danny told her again that he loved her. Lava hung up the phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment