Sunday, August 01, 2004

Gone....

Gone are the days of Leave it to Beaver, Matt Dillon and his sidekick Festus. Gone are the times when sitting on your front porch was a favorite past time. Gone are the days when a simple life was satisfying (for me anyway). Gone are the days when playing in the creek bed with my brother was exhillerating. Remember having nothing better to do on Saturday mornings than watching cartoons. Remember when Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was the bast food in the world. Remember making up your own games, playing in the rain, kickball in the front yard, Spuds McKenzie, Max Hedron, Tiffany (You wrap your arms around me and we tumble to the ground, and then you say...I think we're alone now...), Vanilla Ice....(Stop! Collaborate and Listen, ice is back with a brand new invention, something, grabs ahold of me tightly, rocks like a vandal daily and nightly...........).Remember playing house, marbles, jacks, checkers, chinese checkers. Remember looking at your baby pictures with your mom for the first time. Remember the first day of school. Remember moving out of your parents house...that's when it all started. All of those days are, and forever will be gone. Making money, getting an education, finding love, maintaining a home, car, and a life........that's what happened, that became the focus. Leave it to Beaver reruns are still on during the day, but it's not the same, it doesn't hold my attention any more, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese tastes just like what it is, powdered cheese on pasta, no one wants to play my made up games, I can't find anyone who wants to play in the rain with me, kickball in the front yard isn't a good idea if you don't live in the country, and Tiffany...what can I say....forgotten. Vanilla Ice...who cares. Amazing how much is gone, how much we forget, and how much only we will remember. I often think of being kid, and long to return to those days of little responsibility. Then I realize, when I was there, I didn't like it all that much either. Boy, am I hard to please. Don't get me wrong, I was happy then, and I'm happy now. I wish though, that I could have the best of both worlds. The energy, the best friends necklace, the playing make believe, and the worry free life of childhood, along with the knowledge, understanding, confidence, and freedom of adulthood. Can I? I'm going to do my best. Is it all really gone? I don't know....I will continue on my search and let you know.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment